
Seek First: What Has to Move Before Everything Else Falls into Place
A devotional by Heidi Lewis-Ivey
“But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.”—Matthew 6:33 (KJV)
There’s a word most of us skip right past in our anchor text above: first.
We read it in Matthew 6:33 the way we read a stop sign we've driven past a thousand times—technically registering it, not actually stopping. Seek first the kingdom of God? “Sure. Of course,” we may think. Then we go right on seeking whatever we were already seeking, with God added somewhere near the top of the list instead of in first place at the very top.
I've read this verse more times than I can count. But sitting with it again recently, I got stuck on that one word in a way I hadn’t before. Not “seek God” in general. The word first, which means everything else in me has to be willing to move.
The verse was never really about what to add. It's about what needs to be reordered. When we read The Holy Bible, we see that Jesus Christ doesn't hand this verse about first seeking the kingdom of God to His disciples out of nowhere. Prior to the “seek ye first” sermon, Jesus spent several verses talking them down from anxiety. According to Matthew 6:31–32 (NKJV), Jesus said, “Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.”
I want you to notice something here: Jesus doesn't treat worry and misplaced priority as two separate problems. He treats them like the same problem. The anxious questions “What will I eat?” or “What will I wear?” or “Will I be okay?” are really questions about what’s sitting on the throne of a person's heart. Worry is what happens when something other than God has been quietly put in charge of your security. His prescription isn't “worry less.” It's “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you” (Matthew 6:33, NKJV). Not “Manage your anxiety better.” Reorder what you're seeking.
What Was Actually Sitting There
This is where it stopped being theoretical for me. I had to ask myself honestly: What have I been seeking first? Not what I’d say out loud in church. What my calendar says. What my mind drifts to the moment nothing else demands it. What I reach for when I'm anxious.
Jesus had already named the competition a few verses earlier, and I think it’s easy to read past this one too: “Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven...For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:20–21, NKJV).
Treasure isn't only money. It's whatever I've quietly organized my life around protecting. And most of us have treasure we've never actually said out loud. Treasures like comfort, approval, control, the appearance of having it together. Seeking the kingdom first was never about adding God to a list that already has a king on it. It's about letting Him remove whoever's currently sitting there, even when what's sitting there feels harmless.
A King Who Actually Did This
While I sat with this passage about seeking God first, I kept coming back to the Bible stories about King Solomon. God gave him about as open an offer as a person can receive ask for anything. He could have asked for wealth, long life or the defeat of his enemies. Instead, King Solomon said, “Give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil” (1 Kings 3:9, NKJV).
He sought something aligned with what God had actually called him to, not just what would make his own life easier. And Scripture tells us exactly what happened next: God gave him the wisdom he asked for and the wealth and honor he never asked for. Remember: King Solomon didn’t seek riches and hope wisdom would tag along. He sought rightly, and the rest was added.
What Actually Gets Reordered
Here’s what I needed to hear myself: Seeking the kingdom first was never about abandoning the rest of life. Jesus says those things are added, not stripped away. But they need to come second. Paul puts it in slightly different words when he says this in Colossians 3:2 (NKJV), “Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.”
That’s not a call to disengage from work, family, or responsibility. It’s a call to hold all of it with an open hand instead of a closed fist to let God's kingdom be the thing everything else gets organized around, instead of squeezing Him into whatever space is left over after I’ve secured everything else first.
Where I Landed
I walked away from sitting with this passage less concerned with what I needed to add to my life, and much more aware of what needed to move. Seeking God's kingdom first was never about doing more for God. It’s about letting Him take the first place that something else—comfort, control, approval, even things that are good—has been quietly occupying. The Bible says in Psalm 37:4 (NKJV), “Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.”
Reordering costs something in the moment. It always does. But it's the only way the rest of it ever actually falls into place. Think about what needs to be reordered in your life. Write it down. Don’t condemn yourself. Allow God’s Holy Spirit to show you what’s out of order. Ask Jesus, “Lord, what am I still holding on to that You are asking me to place on the altar?”
You don't have to have it all figured out before you come to Him. He’s not waiting for a perfect response, just an honest one. Whatever comes to mind as you sit with that question, don’t push it back down. Bring it right here, right now, and let this be the moment you lay it down. Let’s turn that honesty into prayer.
Let’s Pray:
Heavenly Father,
I confess that I haven't always sought You first. I've let comfort, control, approval, and a dozen smaller things quietly take the place that belongs to You. Forgive me for the ways I've managed my own life instead of surrendering it for the times worry revealed exactly who, or what, I was really trusting.
I don’t want to just add You to what I’m already seeking. I want You to lead. Take the throne of my life back: my time, my decisions, my fears, the things I hold too tightly. Where I’ve built my own house while Yours sits unattended, forgive me, and give me the courage to trust You to reorder what I’ve let drift.
I trust that as I seek You first, You will take care of the rest, just as You’ve promised. Have Your way in me, Lord. Lead me, Lord, and I’ll follow.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen.
~*~
Song of Reflection #1: “O Come to the Altar” by Elevation Worship. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #2: “Withholding Nothing Medley” by William McDowell. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #3: “Just Want You” by Travis Greene. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #4: “Nobody But Jesus” by Kelly Price (feat. Vanessa Bell Armstrong). Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #5: “First” by Lauren Daigle. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #6: “First Things First" by Consumed by Fire. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #7: “Lead Me Lord” by The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. Listen to it here.
~*~
Author Bio:
Heidi Lewis-Ivey is an affirmed prophet and an internationally acclaimed speaker.

She impacts audiences with her authenticity and bold style of delivery. She has had the opportunity to minister in Trinidad, St. Thomas USVI, Manchester and Liverpool (England).
Heidi is an award-winning and bestselling author. She is the author of Can I Rest Awhile? and Black Girl Cry: What Black Women Need to Know to Amplify Their Voices. She is a co-author in Soulful Prayers (Volume 1 and Volume 2) and Soulful Affirmations. Heidi is the convener of the Encountering the Courts of God movement and the founder of Visions International, a training ground for five-fold ministry gifts.
She holds a Master of Business Administration in Organizational Leadership from Norwich University and a Bachelor of Science in Management from Boston University. Heidi is the CEO of Nael & Associates Inc and franchise owner of Patrice & Associates recruiting firm. She is a member of the Pentimenti Women Writers Group, a former mentor with Year Up, former board member for Friends of Young Achievers, and a Diversity Equity and Inclusion Strategist.
Heidi is the proud aunt/great aunt of 14 nieces and nephews and two bonus nieces. They are her joy. The older nephews have become her protectors.
Heidi is an NFL football fan. As a child, she taught herself the game. In 2017 she won her NFL.com fantasy football league. Heidi is an avid reader (Audible listener) of romance novels, a lover of purses and handbags, and a tea snob who believes bling is always appropriate.
She lives in Boston, MA.
~*~
Connect with Heidi:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/iamheidi01
LinkedIn: https://linkedin.com/in/heidi-lewis-ivey
Song of Reflection #7: “Lead Me Lord” by The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. Listen to it here.
~*~
Author Bio:
Heidi Lewis-Ivey is an affirmed prophet and an internationally acclaimed speaker.
She impacts audiences with her authenticity and bold style of delivery. She has had the opportunity to minister in Trinidad, St. Thomas USVI, Manchester and Liverpool (England).
Heidi is an award-winning and bestselling author. She is the author of Can I Rest Awhile? and Black Girl Cry: What Black Women Need to Know to Amplify Their Voices. She is a co-author in Soulful Prayers (Volume 1 and Volume 2) and Soulful Affirmations. Heidi is the convener of the Encountering the Courts of God movement and the founder of Visions International, a training ground for five-fold ministry gifts.
She holds a Master of Business Administration in Organizational Leadership from Norwich University and a Bachelor of Science in Management from Boston University. Heidi is the CEO of Nael & Associates Inc and franchise owner of Patrice & Associates recruiting firm. She is a member of the Pentimenti Women Writers Group, a former mentor with Year Up, former board member for Friends of Young Achievers, and a Diversity Equity and Inclusion Strategist.
Heidi is the proud aunt/great aunt of 14 nieces and nephews and two bonus nieces. They are her joy. The older nephews have become her protectors.
Heidi is an NFL football fan. As a child, she taught herself the game. In 2017 she won her NFL.com fantasy football league. Heidi is an avid reader (Audible listener) of romance novels, a lover of purses and handbags, and a tea snob who believes bling is always appropriate.
She lives in Boston, MA.
~*~
Connect with Heidi:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/iamheidi01
LinkedIn: https://linkedin.com/in/heidi-lewis-ivey
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.