Monday, August 10, 2026

Devotionals for the Heart: God's Heart for humankind and a love that lasts


Reflecting on God’s faithfulness and love for humankind
A devotional by Regina Marcazzo-Skarka

“For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.”— Psalm 100:5 (NIV)

I treasure reminders that show the great power of God’s faithfulness and love.

Being a Christian does not make us exempt from hardship nor does it leave us always giddy with joy. Life can be tough. It can be hard to navigate the ups and downs of the day-to-day unless we recognize that God is in control and He is madly in love with us. This gives us the strength to persevere.

I also love looking back at God’s goodness in my life over the years both before and after I accepted Him into my life. It shows how He loved me unconditionally and protected me long before I knew Him. Have you ever looked back at your life and realized how everything fits together like a puzzle? How many stories can you tell about God’s faithfulness—both the big things and the small?

My husband and I retired relatively early from our careers. We planned a move from New York to Florida knowing that we might have to continue working in some form. But with the cost-of-living skyrocketing after we finalized the decision and moved, I started to wonder if it was a mistake. If I stayed at my job another three years, hitting the 20-year mark, my pension would have been much higher.

I can see now that God knew what he was doing. We moved to Florida, a couple hours away from my son and soon to be grandchildren. Little did we know that those five years would be a precious gift. We had four beautiful years together before my son got sick and we were blessed to be able to take care of him and help with the babies. I realize that we would have lost those five years if we had remained in New York. What a blessing from God!

I could go on and on with stories about how God protected me in situations that could have ended badly.

As a Christian, it’s easy to go through life just going to church, occasionally reading the Bible and fellowshipping with other Christians, but without an intimate relationship with our Savior (Jesus Christ) that includes silent time alone with Him, lots of prayer and hiding His Word in my heart through scripture memorization…I would be shortchanging God and myself.

But how do we get through those difficult days when we are so scattered that we don’t direct our attention first and foremost on Christ?

I am grateful God gives us all the tools we need to live this life here on earth. The problem is that sometimes we do not use them. I look forward to the day that I commit to sit and be still before God every day, emptying my brain for a short period and just focusing on how much I am loved.

One activity that has been key for my walk is having an arsenal of go-to Bible verses memorized to get me grounded and focused on my Lord and Savior. I started the practice years ago but got away from it until this past January when I asked members of my small group if they wanted to join me in choosing a verse every 15th and last day of the month. We individually pick verses that are tailored to our needs to be go to reminders that help us in our walk. Most days before I get out of bed I recite some of those verses. It is always the best way to start my day.

Here are some of those memory verses:


“Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.”—Psalm 143:8 (NIV)

“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.”—Psalm 19:14 (NLT)

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”—John 16:33 (NIV)

“Dear friends, don’t be surprised at the fiery trials you are going through, as if something strange were happening to you. Instead, be very glad—for these trials make you partners with Christ in his suffering, so that you will have the wonderful joy of seeing his glory when it is revealed to all the world.”—1 Peter 4:12-13 (NLT)

Let’s Pray:


Dear Lord,

Thank You for looking after us even when your love is not at the forefront of our minds. Thank You for being faithful in all seasons, during sickness, financial stress and times of sorrow. Help us dear Lord to remember that you are with us, that Your Word is powerful and that you have a beautiful plan for us. Help us to prioritize spending time with You and to seek the guidance of the Holy Spirit that you have graciously given to us. In Jesus’s name, Amen.

~*~
Song of Reflection #1: “Goodness of God” by CeCe Winans. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #2: “Great is Thy Faithfulness” by The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #3: “Known” by Tauren Wells. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #4: “Make Room” by Meredith Andrews (feat. Sarah Reeves & Chris McClarney). Listen to it here.


~*~
Author Bio:

Regina Marcazzo-Skarka is a writer, a journalist, and a lover of Jesus Christ, her family, church, mission trips, travel and foreign languages. 


Having traveled to over 25 countries, her exploring the world has only just begun. She has also been part of numerous mission trips both domestic and international. She loves getting to know people, their languages and their culture. A life dream of hers is to speak five languages. So far, she speaks English, French, Italian and some Spanish. Her goal is to improve her Spanish speaking skills and to learn a language with a different alphabet, perhaps Arabic.

Regina holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics with a minor in Romance Languages from City University of New York, Hunter College; a Master’s Degree in Journalism from New York University; and a Master’s Degree in Teaching Foreign Language from SUNY Stony Brook. Regina has studied in France. Regina has also studied, lived and worked in Italy.

She taught high school French and Italian for 17 years before retiring from teaching. Prior to teaching, she worked as a journalist, both freelance and as a staff writer for local Long Island, New York weeklies. She also spent two years as a United Nations employee in the Department of Public Information. She currently writes full-time for a weekly newspaper in St. Lucie County, Florida.

Regina is currently working on proposals for two books that she is writing.

She is blessed with an awesome husband of 34 years and two children, their spouses and three treasured grandchildren.

~*~
Connect with Regina:

Website: https://reginamarcazzoskarka.com/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/wipeoutworry/
Email: ginamarcazzo@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.