Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Devotionals for the Heart: How to deal with disappointments in this life


How to Deal with Disappointments
A devotional by Colleen C. Howard

“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”—Jeremiah 29:11 (ESV)

Have you ever been disappointed when someone didn’t show up?

I’m feeling sure we’ve all had our hopes dashed when the promise of seeing someone fails to happen. Whether you’re waiting at the coffee shop, the airport, or at home, the common thread is this: You are waiting. You are waiting with a heart filled to the brim with joyous anticipation! But in an instant, it fades away with a message that says, “I’m so sorry, but I need to reschedule.”

That feeling of joy has just been ripped from your heart, causing a tiny crack in your armor just big enough for the enemy to sneak his way in. His goal is to burrow into your thoughts with lies like, “I’m not good enough. I’m not important enough. I am unworthy of this friendship.”

I’ve had my share of disappointments and it seems impossible to drive away the piercing feeling of discouragement. It wells up in your soul, spills from your eyes and lingers for a while. Be patient with yourself and you will eventually emerge from its grip.

But how do you restore the joy that propelled you into this moment? Instead of giving power to this line of thinking, take time to pray for your friend who might be facing a similar setback. Instead of giving power to the enemy, ask God to part your sea of tears and see you through the disappointment.

Circle back to what you know about your Creator (God) who cares for you and always shows up on time. His plans are for your welfare, and He will never abandon you. In the middle of the waiting, God is there for you, every single day.

He’s not just with you for the fabulous, “I can’t believe it! I want to tell the whole world!”, days. He is with you every day. Even in the most horrible, no-good day that seems to never end, Jesus Christ is right beside you. He carries you when you can’t walk, speaks when you can’t speak, and gives you strength when you are battle weary.

Disappointments are a part of life and usually show up when we least expect it.

What can we do to recover from disappointments? Ask the Holy Spirit to open your eyes and thank the Lord for His many blessings. He is with you through the disappointments and the victories, days filled with heartbreak and the ordinary days in-between. God is always present in your life. Look and you will see Him, listen and He will comfort your heart.

Our hope is in Christ alone. He is divine, loving, powerful, compassionate, majestic, and ever-present. Every single day with Jesus is a gift, and another day to serve Him.

Let’s Pray:

Dear God,

Open my eyes and fill my heart with your unspeakable joy. Remind me to look along the path You set before me and allow me to see a glimpse of your plans for me. You go before me, walk beside me, and my hope for the future rests in you alone. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

~*~
Song of Reflection #1: “In Christ Alone” by Keith & Kristyn Getty (feat. CityAlight). Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #2: “I Will Carry You” by Michael W. Smith. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #3: “I Know the Plans (Audrey’s Song)” by Dámaris Carbaugh. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #4: “Come and Fill My Heart” by Avalon. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #5: “Counting My Blessings” by Seph Schlueter. Listen to it here.


~*~
Author Bio:

Colleen C. Howard is a follower of Jesus Christ, educator and writer. She lives with her husband in the Arizona desert where the sunsets are spectacular, the summers are relentless and the winters are a little slice of Heaven. 


Colleen earned her Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership. This degree opened opportunities to write science curriculum, develop district programs, work with Arizona teachers, community leaders, and more. With NASA Grant funding, she was also able to work with teachers all over the country and expand their knowledge of teaching science as a collaborative effort.

Over the last few years God has placed a strong desire in Colleen’s heart to shine a light on God’s presence throughout ordinary days and encourage women in their faith walk with Him. Although some days bring trials and others bring joy, Colleen believes that if you fix your eyes on Jesus then you will see the heart of God.

Colleen’s writing has been published in the following online publications: Living By Design, Her View From Home, Inside Out Worldwide, Inkspirations, and in anthologies like From Ruins to Restoration, Mountains Moved: 45 Devotions of Bold Faith, and The Miracle of Prayer. She is a monthly blogger for Dressing in God’s Love.

~*~
Connect with Colleen:
Website: authorcolleenchoward.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.