
Seeking the Lost
A devotional by Colette Christopher
“If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them wanders away, what will he do? Won’t he leave the ninety-nine others on the hills and go out to search for the one that is lost? And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he will rejoice over it more than over the ninety-nine that didn’t wander away! In the same way, it is not my heavenly Father’s will that even one of these little ones should perish.”—Matthew 18:12-14 (NLT)
A few weeks ago, as I was on a flight returning from my mission trip, I heard in my spirit that the mission was not finished.
I knew the Holy Spirit was speaking to me. I said, “Lord, what now?” I heard the Holy Spirit say, “Tell the person on the right and the one on your left: Jesus loves you, and for you He died.” Fear gripped me. I thought of the length of time for this flight and of me sitting between the two people who God wanted me to witness to. I whispered, “Father, I am scared.”
A few days earlier when I was in conversation with the host Pastor, something he said has been resonating with me ever since. He said we must keep going for the one. The one soul that needs Jesus, His grace and mercy. When we feel like giving up in our ministry or the areas God has called us to serve, we seldom think of the one person who needs to hear the message God has given to us for that person.
As I struggled to get the message out, I quietly started praying and asking the Holy Spirit to help and show me what to do. A thought came to my mind: Write the message in the memo section of your phone and share the message. I wrote the message: “Jesus loves you, and for you He died.” Below those words I also wrote, “The Lord wants me to share this message with you, but I am scared, and this is the least scary option.” I finally shared the message.
And today, I want to share the same message with you! Jesus loves you. If you are a believer who went astray and became lost, He left the 99 saved sheep who were safe in His care, to search for you. Jesus wants us to have the same love and compassion for each other as He has for us. It is the same agape love that we would have to step out of our comfort zone to tell one person, “Jesus loves you and for you, He died.”
Recently, two of my dearest friends lost loved ones. One parent said to me, “My prayer is that in that moment he asked the Lord back into His life. We don’t know His final resting place, but one thing we are assured of: God loved him and gave His life for Him.” Now consider this in your own life: Someone who is important to you—a child, parent, sibling, friend, colleague, spouse, neighbor—whoever that person is, is the Lord is placing them on your heart to reconcile with them or invite them into a relationship with Jesus Christ? Ask the Holy Spirit to speak to you then help you do what He says.
In the passage above, we know the shepherd originally had 100 sheep, but one wandered away. The shepherd didn’t say the one was important, and he had 99 remaining, so it made no sense to go after the one. Yet, Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd (John 10:11-18) seeks after the one who is lost—whether the one is a backslider who needs to return to his Heavenly Father or the one who needs to make the Lord His Savior. If we are to be like Jesus, then that is our role: to love as He does, to see others as He does, and to invite them into a relationship with Him.
Let’s return to my first story about how God’s Holy Spirit prompted me to share His message of salvation with the people who I was seated in between on the airplane. As I shared the message with the gentleman on my left, he read it, said thank you and patted my hand. I relaxed in my seat and under my breath, I said “Thank you, Lord.” While it took me longer to share with the young lady on my right, I did. She read the message, looked me in the eye and said thank you. As the pilot prepared us for descent, I wondered if I shared the message in the way the Lord wanted me to, and immediately, I heard one word in my spirit: Obedience. That’s what matters—not the method, but the doing—as we follow prompts from God’s Holy Spirit and share the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Today, you may be in a space where you don’t know the Lord as Savior. Jesus loves you, and for you He died. You might have wandered away from Him. But He still loves you, and for you He died. You may have someone on your heart whom the Holy Spirit is nudging you to speak to. If you can’t speak it, write it or do whatever you need to do. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you because He will.
In closing, remember this Bible verse found in John 3:16 (NLT). It says, “For this is how God loved the world: He gave His one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.”
Let’s Pray: Heavenly Father, help us to remember that You love each of us with an everlasting love. Remind us that You gave your only Son (Jesus Christ) to pay the price for our sins on the Cross, so that we can have everlasting life and be reconciled to You. Give us strength to endure so that we can fulfill your plans and purpose for our lives. May your peace and presence flood our hearts and cause us to know that You love us, and You died for us. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
~*~
Song of Reflection #1: “The Lost Sheep | Jesus Finds Me Again” by True Faith Studio. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #2: “God So Loved” by Jaci Velasquez. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #3: “Mercy Tree” by Lacey Sturm. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #4: “It’s Always Been You” by Phil Wickham. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #5: “Seeking the Lost” by KUSDA Church Choir. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #6: “I Am Not Ashamed” by Heritage Singers. Listen to it here.
Song of Reflection #7: “Each One, Reach One” by Babbie Mason. Listen to it here.
~*~
Author Bio:
Colette Christopher is an empowered woman who inspires women to be who they were created to be. Her core message is empowerment. She is an author, certified life coach, podcast host, and trainer with the Maxwell Leadership team.
Colette believes that an empowered woman empowers others and is powerful in knowing who she is and what she can accomplish. Colette is on a mission to impact the lives of the women assigned to her, whether she is their coach or trainer or shares a word that will transform their lives.
Colette utilizes her Christian principles as the base of all her engagements. She is passionate about fulfilling her life purpose of empowering women to know who they are, rebuild their confidence, and use their voices as tools to uplift themselves and others.
She is the founder of the M.E.E. Movement L.L.C., a faith-based empowerment ministry business that helps women of faith rebuild their confidence and use their voice to walk in their purpose through life coaching, mentoring, and empowerment speaking. Colette believes in using the gifts God has given her to help women be who God has called them to be and ultimately fulfill the purpose for which they were created. She lives by Romans 8:28 (NIV), that promises, “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."
A native of Jamaica, Colette resides in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. She is the mother of two beautiful young women, a son-in-love, and two grandsons. Colette enjoys reading, writing, watching good movies, and chatting with her daughters and friends.
~*~
Connect with Colette:
Podcast: https://www.buzzsprout.com/2367935
Email: Colettemarieonline@gmail.com
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.