Friday, July 24, 2026

Devotionals for the Heart: Believing in God isn't the same as knowing Him


Believing Isn’t the Same as Knowing Him
A devotional by Heidi Lewis-Ivey

“But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.”
—Hebrews 11:6 (NKJV)

A pastor friend of mine asked me to teach a Christian Foundations course for a group of aspiring ministers she's raising up. This week's lesson was “Faith Toward God.” I've taught on faith more times than I can count, but I didn’t expect it to hit me the way it did. But somewhere in the middle of preparing, I got stuck on one question: How does faith in a God I can't see turn into knowing Him?

Because those are two different things. I think a lot of us live in the first one without realizing it. Let’s break this down.

Believing He's There:


Most of us start here, whether we remember starting or not. Somewhere along the way we came to believe God exists. We believe there is a Creator, a Judge, a Someone behind all of this. Hebrews 11:1 (NKJV) puts words to that starting point: “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.”

That's a real and necessary step. But as I sat with the next verse this week, I realized I read past something important my whole life that is found in Hebrews 11:6 (NJKV). It says, “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.”

It's not just “believe He exists”. It's “believe He rewards those who seek Him”. That second half is the part I think I'd been skipping. Believing God is there is one thing. Believing He responds when you look for Him is another thing entirely, and it's the part that turns faith from an idea into a pursuit.

I Can Believe the Right Things and Still Not Know Him:

This is the verse that stopped me while I was preparing for the lesson. James 2:19 (NKJV) reads, “You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!”

I read that and thought, “Well, that's humbling. Demons have better theology than half of us. They know exactly who God is. And it does absolutely nothing for them, because knowing facts about someone isn't the same as knowing them.”

I think I've done that with God more than I'd like to admit. I believed the right things. Said the right things. And still kept Him at arm's length, more like a concept I agreed with than a Person I walked with.

He's Not an Idea, He's Alive:

What changed something in me this week was sitting with this phrase: the living and true God. Paul uses it describing people who'd turned away from idols. He said in 1 Thessalonians 1:9 (NKJV), “For they themselves declare concerning us what manner of entry we had to you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God.”

Idols don't do anything. They don't answer, they don't respond, they don't know you're there. And if I'm honest, I can treat God like an idol without ever bowing to a statue just by keeping Him as a distant idea instead of a living presence. Jeremiah 10:10 (NKJV) says it plainly: “But the Lord is the true God; He is the living God and the everlasting King.”

Living. Present. Here. That's a very different thing to have faith towards than a concept in a book.

So How Do You Actually Get There?


I don't think this shift happens automatically just because time passes. A few things stood out to me as I thought through it—not as steps to check off, but more like doors that were already open, waiting. One is simply hearing from Him. Paul says faith comes by hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17). I can't know someone whose voice I never listen to, and I think that's true of God too. The more time I spend in His Word and in prayer, the less abstract He becomes.

Another is that seeking Him isn't a shot in the dark. God promises this in Jeremiah 29:13 (NKJV), “And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” That's not a maybe. That's a promise from a God who wants to be found. It is a reminder that we can't do anything to earn His love. His heart toward us was set long before we ever sought Him.

And then there's what Jesus says eternal life is. Not “believing the correct doctrine.” Knowing Him like He says in John 17:3 (NKJV) that reads, “And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” The Apostle Paul wanted that so badly he called it the goal of his whole life. He said this in Philippians 3:10 (KJV): “That I may know Him.”

Not know about Him. Know Him. In other words, not a mere intellectual belief, but an experiential, intimate relationship with Him. That’s what I want. I want to know Him and live so close to Him, that when He whispers, I hear it.

Coming Closer, Not Just Believing Harder


Here's what I keep coming back to since teaching this: because of Jesus Christ, we're not left to approach an unseen God from a distance, hoping He notices us. Scripture says we get to come close. According to Hebrews 4:16 (NKJV), “Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”

Boldly. Not timidly, not from far off, not just believing Him from across the room. We're invited in. That's the shift I was trying to put words to in class this week: Faith toward God was never supposed to be the finish line. It's the doorway. On the other side of it is an actual Person, alive and present, who wants to be known.

The Bible says in John 1:12 (NKJV), “As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.”

The Holy Spirit spoke to me years ago. He said, “Faith is progressive and it is historical.” This means we grow in faith as we continue to approach Him through His Word (The Holy Bible), and in prayer. Faith is historical because there is this record of God’s love and faithfulness toward us that says, “If He did there (wherever there is), surely He can do it here.”

Believing got me to the door. Knowing Him intimately is what's on the other side of it and honestly, I'm still walking through.

Let’s Pray:

Lord,

Thank You that You are not a distant idea, but the living and true God who is near, present, and real. We confess that it's possible to believe the right things about You and still keep You at arm's length. Forgive us for the times we've settled for facts about You instead of relationship with You.

Stir in us a hunger to seek You with all our heart, trusting Your promise that those who seek You will find You. Let our faith not stop at believing You exist but carry us into knowing the way the Apostle Paul desired in Philippians 3:10, “That I may know Him.”

Thank You that through Jesus we don't have to approach You from a distance. We can come boldly, not because we've earned it, but because You've already made the way. Draw us closer today. Let what we know about You become what we know of You.

In Jesus’ name,

Amen.

~*~
Song of Reflection #1: “I Believe God” by Kurt Carr (feat. Timiney Figueroa-Caton). Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #2: “God's Favor” by Donald Lawrence featuring Karen Clark-Sheard, Kim Burrell, and Kelly Price. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #3: “You Are God Alone” by Marvin Sapp. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #4: “Goodness of God” by CeCe Winans. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #5: “Just to Know You” by Mark Schultz. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #6: “Knowing You, Jesus” by Graham Kendrick. Listen to it here.

Song of Reflection #7: “Oh, I Want to Know You More” by Steve Green. Listen to it here

~*~
Author Bio:

Heidi Lewis-Ivey is an affirmed prophet and an internationally acclaimed speaker. 


She impacts audiences with her authenticity and bold style of delivery. She has had the opportunity to minister in Trinidad, St. Thomas USVI, Manchester and Liverpool (England).

Heidi is an award-winning and bestselling author. She is the author of Can I Rest Awhile? and Black Girl Cry: What Black Women Need to Know to Amplify Their Voices. She is a co-author in Soulful Prayers (Volume 1 and Volume 2) and Soulful Affirmations. Heidi is the convener of the Encountering the Courts of God movement and the founder of Visions International, a training ground for five-fold ministry gifts.

She holds a Master of Business Administration in Organizational Leadership from Norwich University and a Bachelor of Science in Management from Boston University. Heidi is the CEO of Nael & Associates Inc and franchise owner of Patrice & Associates recruiting firm. She is a member of the Pentimenti Women Writers Group, a former mentor with Year Up, former board member for Friends of Young Achievers, and a Diversity Equity and Inclusion Strategist.

Heidi is the proud aunt/great aunt of 14 nieces and nephews and two bonus nieces. They are her joy. The older nephews have become her protectors.

Heidi is an NFL football fan. As a child, she taught herself the game. In 2017 she won her NFL.com fantasy football league. Heidi is an avid reader (Audible listener) of romance novels, a lover of purses and handbags, and a tea snob who believes bling is always appropriate.

She lives in Boston, MA.

~*~
Connect with Heidi:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/iamheidi01
LinkedIn: https://linkedin.com/in/heidi-lewis-ivey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.