Tuesday, September 22, 2026

"Praying God's Blessings in Christ as We Suffer" (book) by Dr. Lauri Hogle


The Story Behind Dr. Lauri Hogle’s book, Praying God's Blessings in Christ as We Suffer: Scripture Prayers for the Hardest Days:

Several years ago, after a second brain surgery that brought only partial relief, I lay in bed wrestling with unrelenting chronic pain.

Kind friends, wanting the best for me, would say they were praying for God’s favor and blessing so that the suffering would finally stop. Their words were full of love, yet each time I heard them I felt an anguished cry rise within me: But I already have His favor and blessing!

In the quiet of my tears, God reached into my hurting heart. He flooded me with the rich truths of Scripture and the voices of faithful hymn writers who had walked through their own valleys. Songs like “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” and “Blessed Assurance” became lifelines. Ephesians 1:3 exploded into living reality: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.” I began to see that the greatest blessings are not the absence of pain but the presence of Christ Himself—pardon, peace, adoption, eternal life, the indwelling Spirit, and a guaranteed future glory.

These truths did not remove my affliction, but they reframed it. They gave me language to pray when words failed and songs to sing when sorrow threatened to drown out hope. That experience birthed this book, Praying God's Blessings in Christ as We Suffer. I wrote it because I desperately needed these truths myself, and I know many others do too.

Too often, Christian teaching on suffering focuses primarily on asking God to take it away. While there is nothing wrong with crying out for relief, Scripture invites us into something deeper. Even in the darkest nights, we are called to remember what God has already given us in His Son (Jesus Christ). The Apostle Paul, writing from prison, could still praise God who “has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing.” If that was true for Paul in chains, it is true for us in chronic illness, grief, disability, or any form of ongoing tribulation.

This book is not a theological treatise or a step-by-step guide to “victorious living.” It is a lament prayer book. Each chapter draws from God’s Word and pairs it with hymns and prayers that help us speak Biblical truth to our souls when pain, fear, or doubt scream the loudest. Each chapter is filled with the honest tension many of us feel—prayers for earthly comfort colliding with the deeper reality of spiritual riches we already possess.

I wrote this book for fellow sufferers who know Jesus as Savior and Lord. Whether your pain is physical like mine, emotional, relational, or the heavy burden of watching a loved one endure hardship, these pages are for you. I also wrote it for those nearing the end of earthly life who wonder if greater tribulation awaits.

My prayer is that this book will function as a healing balm and a gospel trumpet for weary souls. I hope readers will discover, as I did, the power of praying Scripture back to God—thanking Him for His past faithfulness, His present mercies, and His future promises. I want sufferers to be able to sing with fresh confidence: “Blessings all mine and ten thousand beside!”

I hope the book helps shift our gaze from what we lack to what we possess in Christ. When chronic pain flares, when grief feels crushing, when the future seems frightening, may these prayers and songs anchor us in the unshakeable reality of our union with Jesus.

One of the old hymns included in the book says it beautifully: “Ten thousand blessings it contains/Divinely rich and free/or helpless, wretched, ruined man/Though vile and base as we.”

That is the heart of the gospel. It is not a message for the strong or the comfortable only. It is especially sweet for the weak, the afflicted, and the needy. I pray this book helps readers feel welcomed at the throne of grace, not as those who must first “prove” their worthiness or “fix” their circumstances, but as those already purchased by the blood of the Lamb.

Writing this book has been an act of worship born out of my ongoing chronic pain. It has forced me to preach the gospel to my own soul day after day. Some mornings I can barely whisper the prayers; other days I sing them through tears. But every time I return to these truths, my heart finds rest. My hope is that your heart will too.

If you are suffering today, know that you are not alone. Bring your tears and fears to the Lord. Let His Word wash over you as you pray. May you leave these pages more deeply convinced that you are blessed in Christ—truly, eternally, and presently—whatever your circumstances may be. And may we together “bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits” (Psalm 103:2).

That is why I wrote Praying God's Blessings in Christ as We Suffer: Scripture Prayers for the Hardest Days. Not to offer false hope of earthly ease, but to point us to the living Hope who holds us fast. May He use these prayers to comfort, strengthen, and sustain you as you walk through the valley, until we see Him face to face.

In Christ’s love,

Lauri A. Hogle, PhD

~*~
Author Bio:

Lauri A. Hogle, PhD, music therapist, music educator, and church musician, heads Singing Christ's Hope, a nonprofit ministry found at singchristhope.org


Her words and musical offerings have touched lives across the globe. 

Lauri's Bible study prayer books, including "Praying God's Blessings in Christ as We Suffer," "Near to God," "Praying God's Promises Into Suffering," "Singing the Gospel to Job," and a children's book, "In the Valleys of God's Love," are complemented by weekly playlist gifts for suffering Christian women.

Her lifelong passion is to glorify God through music, teaching, research, and writing. By God's gracious blessing, in many years of serious illness, her great joy is as wife, mother, and Nana.

~*~
Back cover copy for Lauri’s book: 


Amid chronic suffering, tribulation, or our life's final days, where does a Christian find hope? This poignant and powerful book invites you to discover the unshakable blessings already yours in Christ, within your deepest suffering and pain.

Written during Lauri’s journey of severe, chronic physical affliction, this book weaves together short lament prayers, Biblically grounded hymns, and Scriptures about God’s unending favor toward His beloved in Christ. This 90-day devotional is a tender companion for anyone facing trials, offering a pathway to sing and pray of God’s past, present, and future blessings to those united with Jesus.

Whether you’re enduring chronic suffering, fearing future tribulation, or seeking peace in life’s final moments, Praying God's Blessings in Christ as We Suffer is a healing balm for your soul. Let it lead you to cry, “Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits” (Psalm 103:2 ESV), as you rest in our faithful Lord’s continual blessings in Christ.

~*~
Connect with Dr. Lauri:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.