1) Prayer saves lives. Have you ever heard a previously troubled person say how their praying grandma or praying grandpa helped save their soul? Check out the testimony of Helen Baylor, a gospel artist. Before coming to Jesus, Baylor was heavily involved in drugs and could have died had it not been for her grandmother who prayed to God to deliver her granddaughter (Baylor) and on a night where Baylor's life was hanging in the balance, her grandma's prayers made all the difference. Baylor prayed to Jesus for deliverance from drugs and now she is a healthy, happy gospel musician who tells everyone of the love of Jesus and value of a praying grandmother in her life through her songs.
2) Prayer births hope. When you pray and God answers your prayers for yourself or someone else, in awe-inspiring ways, hope is born because you realize not only is God real but He cares about every single detail of your life and He's in the business of restoration. They say if a person is causing you concern and will not change then pray to God to change you. You cannot control another person's actions but you can control your response. And when you pray every day for the strength and courage to respond gracefully to anything life throws at you, then you're on the steady path of restoration. Restoration from what? Restoration from reacting quickly in a negative manner to responding calmly to something that would have thrown you off a few months or years earlier. God can restore lives. Pray for those who are hurting, pray for those who mistreat you, pray for people who are struggling. Pray for those who do not yet know Jesus Christ. And as you pray every day, watch how God answers your prayers and you will become filled with hope.
3) Prayer solves problems. When you have a problem, take it to God in prayer. God can solve any problem, anytime, anywhere. But He requires or patience because He may not act as soon as we'd wish or use the method we prefer. But God WILL respond to ALL of our prayers, solving our problems in the most perfect way that is in the best interest of everyone. They say when you're in a tough situation, God will either move you or move the person who caused the tough situation. Either way, God has your back. So trust Him.
4) Praying to God to forgive us of our sins is essential to our salvation. We are saved by God's grace, through faith not works so that no man can boast (Ephesians 2:8-9). God's grace extends to us through His Son Jesus Christ's sacrifice that enables us to be forgiven of our sins when we ask God for forgiveness. But if we do not confess our sins to God and ask for His forgiveness and believe Him, we are in danger of losing our salvation. You have to admit that you are a sinner in need of a Savior and you have to believe God is real and accept His free gift of salvation if you want to go to heaven. You have to submit yourself to God each and every day, asking Him to guide you in making the right decision and living a life that is pleasing to Him. We are all sinners in need of a Savior. But here's the good news, Jesus Christ IS our Savior and He is always there for us. God is always available to forgive our sins and listen to us through prayer.
5) Prayer produces peace. The Bible says God will give us a peace that passes all understanding (Philippians 4:6-7). This world may be broken and filled with craziness but we can still have peace, a peace that only comes from God. It is a peace in the midst of the storms of life that will draw people to you inquiring where you got that perfect peace despite the turmoil around you. And that my dear friend, is an opportunity to witness to others about the God you serve and pray for them too!
Now that you know a few of the many ways prayer benefits you, will you pray with me?
Thank You for the gift of prayer. Please give us the peace that passes all understanding. Help us to lead others to You. We all need a Savior and we are so glad that You sent Your Son Jesus Christ to show us God is Love and with God, all things are possible--whether it's healing a heart, birthing hope into a situation that seemed hopeless or setting a broken person on a steady path to restoration, with You ALL things are possible (Matthew 19:26).
You are the Master Teacher, Healer and Preacher and we love You for being there for us, no matter what. Please continue bless, keep and protect us all. As we spend time with You in prayer and You begin to change our lives for the better, help us to stay humble and grateful. May our lives overflow with love for Your love which is a love that never fails. And may we tell others of Your love for them so that they may come to know and love You too.
In Jesus' Name I Pray,
In Jesus' Name I Pray,